Tuesday, February 23, 2010

The last 10%

I heard the last 10% of a project takes 90% of the work. I'm in the last 10% phase of getting my book ready for the professionals. It's the final push to making sure the story reads well. I have 14 chapters in the book and over half have been revised. The middle section is actually pretty good. I read through chapters 8-11 last weekend through today. I'm happy with them. I skipped chapters 6-7. I'll do them later. I have to add a few pages to chapter 6. It only has three sections. It needs five. All my chapters are divided into five section. No reason for that -- it just worked out that way.

In querying agents, I'm finding myself second-guessing just about every line of my query. I'm not sure that's very productive. If they're interested, great, and if they're not, move on. Querying is a lot like online dating. It's all about letting the rejection slide off while still moving forward. This is a lot easier said than done. I've had a lot of practice in rejection. You'd think I'd get used to it. I don't know if I ever will.

I'm still reading a lot. Halfway through "Blue Angel." There's some great writing in that book.

No comments: