Sunday, June 6, 2010

Writing for the Masses

I had dinner last night with a writer who wrote a book in diary form. She has an agent (Sarah Davies of Greenhouse Lit) who submitted the manuscript to 17 editors. I asked what the responses were. Not enough action, apparently, and too quiet. From the description of the book, it did sound a little internal. It may be a better strategy to write something big, bold and full of movement as a first novel. My strategy is to write something that resonates with kids and keeps them wanting more. Having "24" as my model makes sense to me. I'm going to miss that show. I submit this week to an agent named April. I hope she likes it.

I'm going to the SCBWI conferense in Los Angeles in late July/early August. The $190 rooms at the Hyatt were sold out, so I opted to go budget, staying at a very reasonable $80 room with great reviews on Trip Advisor 7 miles away. I'll have a car for the weekend. The writer I met last night had attended the conference last year and said it was a blast. I'll do my best to be social and meet lots of people. I'm looking forward to it.

I feel I have little time to do what I'd like, but in a way it does make me very productive. Still, I miss the time I had at home. I can't wait to recreate the stay-at-home lifestyle I so miss.

No comments: