Monday, October 15, 2007

Staying Focused

I’m into my 5th week of my Body for Life 12-week program and so far I’ve done a good job of staying on track. It’s an ambitious agenda, but I’m doing my best to stay focused on my goals. Planning is the key. Having a vision is essential. The egg timer has been a godsend. Egg timer? Yes. My Sunbeam egg timer that I bought at WalMart last month has helped keep me on track when I have short 5-minutes chores to complete. I have a tendency to wander and meander when engaged in a project. My focus is easily shaken. When I’m racing against time to complete something, I’m effectively turning the situation into a game. It’s amazing what I can do in an hour now.

Some hands over the weekend: I totally blew one hand, believing I was playing with good players when in fact I’m playing in a $5 tournament with beginners. I had 66 in early position. The flop was AA9. I checked and two other players checked. The turn was a 6. I bet out and both players called. The River was an 5. I bet the pot, I was called, then the third player pushed all in. I folded thinking he had A5 or A9. He had 87 for a straight. Ouch. I was out an hour later. I sometimes out think myself and will fold something that isn’t the nuts, thinking my opponents would only raise if they had the best hand possible. What hurts my game is my bankroll is too low to play better players, so I’m always giving these crazy players more credit than they deserve. I must remember this.

I played a lot of poker over the weekend and was getting frustrated at losing every race I was involved in, while players who pushed every hand won every race. What made the weekend worse was I was losing on the river every time. Such a brutal game at times.
Mom arrives next week. It’ll be nice to see a bunch of movies and eat great food. I think she’ll have a fantastic time!

No comments: