Thursday, October 21, 2010

Freedom

Got a super night’s sleep and feel a renewed sense of energy and drive. Yesterday’s email was indeed a blow, but things happen for a reason and somewhere in agentland there’s a far better fit for me. I reviewed my current query and synopsis and looked over the first chapter. It’s all there, waiting for someone to grab it up and sell it to a publisher. I’m incorporating hardcopy queries into the mix, mailing packets to about 20 agents who currently don’t accept emails. Chris said some really complimentary things about my book and told me not to question its merit and strengths. He’s a true believer and I love that about him.



I’m plowing through Jonathan Franzen’s “Freedom,” and enjoying every sentence, every paragraph. He’s a dense, doughy writer with a “more-is-more” writing style. I’m always aware of his brilliance, which in the end works against the story, but for writers at his level it’s an easy indulgence to forgive. His attention to detail and observational skills are superb. I’m one-fifth of the way through the book and enjoying the journey immensely.

No comments: