Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Post-Query Thoughts

I’ve spent so much time and energy on query letters, sample chapters and checking my email for responses that I feel as if I’ve just been released from query prison. As I think through the next few steps in the process, it’s hard not to feel overwhelmed. Along with refining my manuscript and bringing another layer of detail and polish to every scene, I’m also thinking about all the online resources available to writers that I’m totally oblivious to. I’ve been maintaining this blog as a way of learning how blogging works, but there’s so much more I’d like to know. I hope to relearn how video links work. I’d like to make some videos with my Ipad and post them here. That would be fun. I haven’t mentioned my blog to my Facebook gang yet, but once I do I’ll have to get used to writing for an audience. I hadn’t realized how difficult that would be for me until this past week. I’ve enjoyed writing nonsensical posts and random thoughts for my own enjoyment. My posts will probably be less frivolous as a result, which may make them slightly less interesting. Maybe I’ll have to create a new blog that’s just for me so that I can keep that frivolous part of me satisfied.

I had a dentist appointment this morning, and while watching the news during my teeth cleaning I heard a theory explaining why the U.S. crime rate was dropping. The average population was growing older. The boomers are retiring. It got me thinking about another target audience, the senior citizens in assisted living facilities. I’ve always imagined speaking at elementary and middle schools, but I can also see an equally satisfying connection with grandparents. The old Oakland Hotel that’s now a retirement home would make an ideal setting for a talk about the series. I’ll have to put that on my list.

I have a match scheduled with Todd this afternoon at 2. Todd has picked up his game this year and will come out swinging. I haven’t played since Friday morning, but I should be able to handle him. After Todd, I have three matches left before the playoffs. Rod and I play Thursday afternoon and Tyrone and I play Thursday evening. Gary and I will have to play sometime next week. If I remain the top seed, I’ll most likely play Harry in the semis and Steve and Tyrone will most likely face each other.

5 comments:

JK Willis said...

Congrats, Michael. I just read your Q and A interview on Query Tracker. Look forward to reading your book.

Michael Hagan said...

Thanks, JK...keep me posted on your progress as well!

D. U. Okonkwo said...

This post is laugh out loud hilarious - and I can totally empathise. It is query prison. Another blogger called it query hell. I honsetly can't wait until I'm set free!

Michael Hagan said...

Best of luck on your release, D.U. Even the food tastes better post query!

Anonymous said...

That is very [url=http://www.cheapuggbootsinuk2013.co.uk]cheap ugg boots uk[/url] attention-grabbing, You're an excessively professional blogger. [url=http://www.cheapuggbootsinuk2013.co.uk]cheap ugg boots uk[/url] ,I've joined your feed and sit up for in quest of extra of your excellent post. Also, I have shared your site in my social networks!